And that is exactly what Duke has been doing to me for about the past week and a half. He's just so darn cute and lovable that I really have a hard time getting upset at him, until last week. I could tell he was really starting to test my patience with just the little things, which of course, I let him slowly get away with. B told me I just needed to discipline him, but easier said than done of course. And that's when the bigger events occurred. Last Thursday I had a really rough day at work and all I wanted to come home and do was go for our nightly run, something I am really trying to consistently get back in the habit of doing. I've been letting Duke tag along as the runs have been taking over his walk time and he has been awesome. We hadn't got far when he decided he was going to use all 100 pounds of pure strength and muscle to pull me to the ground. But he didn't stop there. Before I could get back up, he decided he was going to keep going, therefore dragging me across the asphalt which lead to a busted up, bloody, skinned knee. We immediately turned around and went home and he was done for the night. When B called that night I was literally in tears over this silly dog. He asked what was wrong and my first response? "I can't handle this single parenting stuff!" Oh gosh, can you imagine the laugh I got for that one? But in all seriousness, even if he is ONLY A DOG, it's not easy. We of course made up and were once again snuggle buds that night. And then Saturday came. I went to run a few errands where I put Duke in his cage, which he has no problem going and is his "safe place". I wasn't gone more than 2 1/2 hours when I came home to THIS!
![]()
I was in complete and utter shock. Why I never imagined he would have done this, especially after just finally getting this nice, new SERTA bed only one month ago! I of course was unbelievably upset and had to catch my calm before I handled the situation. At this point I knew I HAD TO discipline him whether I liked it or not. He knew I was not happy and that he had been super naughty. Once I "Mommy-ed Up" as I call it, I then just sat there and broke down in tears and felt absolutely terrible. I know this wasn't the best thing I could have done, but I really was that upset. Once B and I talked it out, of course everything was okay and he reassured me that no matter what, Duke is JUST A DOG and will love me no matter what. It's just so hard knowing that he is my one comfort I always have to come home to, whether it be a tough day, or a great day, he's ALWAYS so excited to see me and knows exactly how to make me smile.
![]() |
| The "leave me alone you mean mommy" look. |
![]() |
A closer look at THE damage.
|
And after such an afternoon full of all of these emotions, what better way to end the day then by heading out to The Gulch for a little Beer Fest action with one of my favorite deployment ladies!
Here's to being 3 months down with this deployment! Cheers to all my ladies!
Love and Strength,
Lindsey
No comments:
Post a Comment