Sunday, June 26, 2011

Do we REALLY need to go out tonight?

A couple of nights ago when talking with B he asked me if it was okay that we begin making donations to the Wounded Warrior Fund. Of course, with no hesitation, I said absolutely. He didn't go into much detail with me, but I KNEW the exact reason he had felt the calling for our family. Later that night on facebook I saw he had updated his status to "What does it normally cost for a nice dinner for 2 these days? How many times a month do you normally go out to eat?" At first I was confused, but after a second thought, I knew his exact intention. After a few responses he then posted a note to his facebook expressing his feelings about said situation. It was very heartfelt and well said. I would like to share it with all of you, as he has asked me to as well.

Do we REALLY need to go out tonight?

"Let me start this post off by first saying that I am not trying to gain any self indulgence or any comments regarding how I may or may not be doing the right thing. Also, I do not want anyone thinking that I am trying to gain acceptance from any certain person or group of people. I just want to write to people the way I feel about a certain subject and the enlightenment I have gained over the past couple of weeks. About a month ago, I received a message from MAJ Corbari, father and father-in-law to two really good friends of Lindsey and me. He told me that one of my friends, who I played football with for 5 years, went through hell and back at West Point, and proudly served as his Best Man at his wedding, was injured in an IED explosion along with three of his other Soldiers in Afghanistan. I can go into more details, but this is not the point. MAJ Corbari told me that Tyson and Tera were both at Kandahar Air Field, only about 75 miles from where I am now. I desperately wanted to be there for them but my Commander deemed it unsuitable for our current mission situation. Honestly, deep down, I knew Tyson was going to be fine. I wanted to be there for Tera. Tyson is a warrior and one of the toughest guys I know. I’m laughing as I’m writing this because he would always bitch about stuff under his breath but would always stay focused and complete the mission. Tera is also one of the toughest women I know. She won’t put up with anyone’s shit. She was the head manager for our football team, and if you know other players like I know them, they can sometimes be assholes. She would keep her composure like no one else I’ve ever known. I just wanted to be at KAF for her so that I could reassure her of that. I know that a lot of people portray themselves as strong individuals, but everyone has a breaking point. I wanted to be able to pick her up and tell her that everything was going to be ok and I could not do that. That was so tough for me because I felt like I had to be able to do something for my friends. I know they have gotten a lot of help along the way from other friends and family and Lindsey and I really want to try to help to. We have asked the Corbari family if there is anything we can do but it’s kind of hard to “help” when I am in Afghanistan and Lindsey is in Alaska. So, while thinking of ways I can try to “help”, I decided to donate to the Wounded Warriors Foundation. These guys help Soldiers who have been injured in combat get back in the fight. I have never really donated anything before besides a few dollars a month to the AER Fund. I have never really even thought about it because, not trying to be selfish, but I used to always think, “What are they going to do for me?” honestly, I think a lot of people feel this way. I probably would have never given this organization, or any other one like it, if it were not for my friend getting hurt. I know this is sad and misfortunate, but sometimes it takes getting punched in the throat to realize that you are not doing everything you can to be the person you “should” be. I recently posted on my status, “What does it normally cost for a nice dinner for 2 these days? How many times a month do you normally go out to eat?” my intention was to make people think about what they spend on ONE night out. Imagine the impact on a person you can have by sacrificing ONE night a month for someone in need. I do not know if my monthly donations will make any impact on my friends directly, but I know that it will go to someone who is in need and I know that Tera and Tyson would appreciate a gift like this much more than a dozen cookies. I am not trying to guilt anyone into giving donations to anyone or and organizations. I am trying to ask each and every one of you reading this right now to look into the mirror and ask yourself, “Do we REALLY need to go out tonight?” No one will ever know what you do with your disposable income, only you and your spouse. Just know that there is somewhere out there who could desperately use you. Please continue to pray for my good friends Tera and Tyson. They have a long road to recovery ahead of them. I desperately want to see them as soon as I get back from Afghanistan. I think about them on a daily basis and will continue to think about them and support them in every way possible. I love you guys and wish you the best of luck."

I am so very thankful that B has given us the opportunity to be a part of such a wonderful organization that is doing such great things each and every day for our soldiers, our heroes. Please remember to keep each and everyone of them in your daily prayers. Our appreciation continues for all of the love and support we have been shown during this time. And as B said, please continue to pray for our dear friends, Tera and Tyson.

Love and Strength,
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment